Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Getting back into it

Last night was my first time back at the gym after my holiday (two weeks).  During my holiday I did get some exercise in the form of walking and a few bike rides (only one ride was hard work).

Feeling that my aerobic fitness is not up to scratch and that this probably holds me back a bit when doing weights (getting knackered too easily) I've decided to take things a bit slowly but to try and increase the amount of cardio that I do.

So, last night when I jumped on the exercycle I dropped the resistance slightly (by 1 point) and didn't peddle hard out.  I keep the rpm on the bike in the mid nineties and this got my heart rate up to the mid 130's.  While I normally push a bit harder and only bike for 10 minutes, last night I did 15 minutes.

After the biking I felt pretty good and had covered just under 7.2km.  If I had done it at my normal rate I would have probably got somewhere over 8km.

I then hit the cross-trainer and did my normal cardio routine of 10 minutes on the "cardio" setting.  Here I went a bit harder (more like my normal routine) and cranked out 2km in 10 minutes with my heart rate peaking over the target of 141bpm.  By now I was a sweaty mess and knew I'd done something...

I then hit the weights but didn't manage to get through my whole routine, only lasting about 35 minutes.  Overall, I enjoyed the workout and will back tomorrow night for another go but still with the emphasis on cardio.

Today I concentrated on walking (later in the month we are having a walking challenge at work) and managed to knock out 9,500 steps with the help of mowing the lawns, walking the dog and whatever I managed at work.  It takes a bit of work to hit the target 10,000 per day...

No comments:

Post a Comment